Monday, August 3, 2009

Pickles!

We've had enough cucumbers now that we have male flowers, that I've been making pickles! I made 5 quarts last week, and I still had 7 cukes left over. Now I've got 3 more cukes in the fridge, and about 10 sitting on the vine waiting for a job.

So here are a few pictures illustrating the process- cutting the cukes and gathering the ingredients (nevermind the mess on the counter):
And the finished product. I followed a recipe for Kosher Dill Pickles, so we'll see how it turns out. The recipe was a bit confusing as I couldn't tell which quantities were "per jar" and which were for the whole recipe. Also, I'm using sweeter yet hybrid cukes, I think, which really are meant for fresh eating rather than pickling. They are supposed to be best at about 2 weeks, but ready to eat after 24 hours. I bet they're probably fine by now, can't wait to give them a try- I love pickles! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment