Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Garden is Growing! A Photo Update

My garden has been growing like crazy lately. We got a lot of rain a week or two ago, and now everything has just been growing beyond control. So, I thought it was time for a photo update, since it's been a while. Things have really grown since the last update. . . So here goes!
The garden:

Bed E (eggplant, haricot verts, snaps, marigolds, one rogue onion, and Giant Cactus Zinnias in the back):

Bed T (parsnips, snaps, chilly chili peppers, edamame, and State Fair Zinnias in front. Tomatoes left to right: Cherokee Purple, Earl's Faux, Brandywine, Kellogg's Breakfast in front):

Bed C (big early bell peppers, chives, chilly chili peppers, carrots, marigolds, snaps. Tomatoes left to right: Giant Syrian, Todd County Amish, Big Beef, and Lemon Boy in front. Note the curly leaves on some of the plants- I'm not sure what this is, but I'm going to do some investigating):

And some of the individual crops- cukes!

Edamame- these have been basically taken over by the aphids, so I'm not sure if this will actually produce anything for us humans to eat, but we'll see.

Prosperosa Eggplant- SOOOO beautiful and just about ready to eat!

I thought I had planted Serrano Chilies here but maybe I got my crops mixed up? I'm not sure, but they look pretty similar to the bell peppers I'm growing:

Zinnias- Giant Cactus variety- love them!

And finally, the stars of the garden, the tomatoes:

Big Beef (always a staple- great producer and nice size fruits! too bad we're getting a lot of blossom end scarring this year, but I think they'll be good nonetheless):

Brandywine (mmm, my mouth is watering just looking at them):

Todd County Amish (big hearty tomatoes here!):

And Giant Syrian (I'm hoping these taste as good as they look- I can see why they're a favorite!):

I think it will just be another week or two before we get fresh home grown tomatoes, as the Big Beefs look like they're getting ready to turn on us. Of course I don't have anything written down about when we had our first ripe tomatoes last year, but in 2007, we had ripe tomatoes before July was out, granted they were store-bought plants, but we can't be too far behind! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment