Saturday, August 15, 2009

First Tomato!

I have made 15 quarts of pickles already. . . plus given away and eaten a bunch of cucumbers already! And they're still going like gangbusters!

The really good news is that we finally had our first tomato! August 15th, nothing like having early tomatoes ;) (just kidding). We have had a really cool, dry summer so far, so I can't blame them too much for being late, but I did start them a couple of weeks early. Then again, most of the varieties I'm growing are late season varieties, and they did have a hard time getting the growth they needed earlier this spring.

Anyhow, I picked a small, ripe Earl's Faux tomato from the garden this afternoon and we consumed it within about 5 minutes of leaving its vine. We had never tried this variety, so I was anxious to see how it was. The Earl's Faux tomato is a pink tomato with some variation in shape and striations (not perfectly round). When we cut it open we discovered a very meaty, fleshy tomato- hardly any seeds or juice at all- would be a great sandwich tomato. Its taste is quite sweet, and pretty mild as far as acidity. We liked it! Yum!

I want to keep a chart on each tomato so I can compare for future years and decide which varieties to grow. There are several ripening tomatoes out there of almost every variety, but I must say, the Todd County Amish tomato that is ripening (pink currently) looks amazing. I hope it tastes as good as it looks! So happy it's finally tomato season in Minnesota- Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment