Monday, May 18, 2009

Planting the Garden

Well the time has finally arrived. Today I spent several hours preparing the raised beds (hand tilling, fertilizing) and planting seeds and plants. Since there is a lot to do, I decided to split up the fun between two + days. So here's what I planted today for seeds:

Carrots (no signs of life from earlier planted ones)
Edamame (Envy and Shirofumi varieities)
Haricot Verts (Fin de Bagnol)
Cucumbers (Sweeter Yet)

I also transplanted a few of the flowers, including the Dahlias, Zinnias, Marigolds, and some of the violas and historic pansies. Here is my garden map for what I have planted and what I plan to plant (click to enlarge).
Tomorrow I will plant the leeks, snapdragons (that I picked up at the garden store yesterday haha), and I will have time to do some potting of some herbs, artichokes, and some left over (and some garden store bought) pansies. I also have a rose that needs pruning, and a lot of weeds to pull around the house- oh busy day. . .

The tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers slept in the garage last night and did just great, the low was 49, but I'm sure it was warmer in the garage. The flat with the flowers, artichokes and leeks slept under the stars (in preparation for the big move). The tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers are transitioning to the outdoor life very well, and have stayed out all day long both yesterday and today. They will have a few more nights of coming in during the cold temps, then will be planted in the garden and the leftovers potted in preparation for their new homes with family and friends. Let's hope we don't have another hail storm this year (knock on wood!)! Here's to happy outdoor gardening in Minnesota (finally)- Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment