Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Almost Too Easy

Last fall when we had our in-ground sprinkler system installed, we had them run a line with a spicket out to the garden. Today I set it up for performance- this is almost too easy, having a hose right in the garden. hehehe :D
I finished planting the garden on Tuesday, making my planting dates Monday, May 18th and Tuesday, May 19th, the two hottest days of the year. 97 degrees on Monday, somewhere in the 90's again on Tuesday. Now we're back to 60's and 70's and I'm happy. Here is a photo of one of the beds, the most interesting one at the moment (I could have posted a bunch of photos of dirt, but being that nothing has really germinated yet, I thought that would be boring haha). Note the leek trench on the left side. I piled up the soil that I removed from the trench right around it, so there is also a hill there, but this will be to gradually fill in the trench as the leeks grow, encouraging more and more growth of the white part of the stem. In this bed are 3 rows of lettuce, leeks, sugar snap peas, a dahlia in the front left, a zinnia in the back left, and a few snapdragsons (from the garden store), a marigold and 2 violas/pansies in the front right.
The tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers have been living outside full time now, and I'm considering taking down the grow light now as I don't expect them to come back inside. Here they are, lounging in the garden, only slightly sunburned in their semi-protected/filtered light spot. The weather is pretty nice and the forecast looks good so perhaps this weekend they will go in the earth!
Last but not least, here is some color for your day- the pansies I picked up at the garden store that will grace our front porch whenever I get around to potting them. Here's to happy gardening! Cheers! :D

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for the hose.

    Where are you located in MN? I'm in Moose Lake.

    Love your raised beds w/the fence.

    Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete